Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Beer and Cupcakes?

One of my closest friends had a birthday recently. Being the beer lover that she is, I thought it was only appropriate to bake her some cupcakes with her favorite beverage. BEER! So, off to the liquor store I went to get my beer. My plan was to make some cupcakes with Guinness Stout and then whip up a frosting with Bailey's Irish Creme in it. So when I got to the checkout counter with my liter bottle of Guinness and asked for a Bailey's nip, the guy looked at me with a pitiful face. "Having an Irish night in, tonight," he asked, showing off his multiple Irish-themed tattoos at the same time. I wanted to make it very clear that I wasn't going to be drinking by myself at home, so I told him I was making cupcakes for a friend. Not sure if he believed me.... haha! Anyway, here's my recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Frosting. 

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
½ cups of Guinness Stout
½ cup of Unsalted Butter (4 oz. or 1 stick)
¾ cup of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 cups of All Purpose Flour
2 cups of Granulated Sugar
1½ teaspoons of Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 Large Eggs
⅔ cup of Sour Cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners.
2. Put the butter and beer in a pot and bring to a simmer. 
3. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth and let it cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. 
5. In a mixer bowl, beat the eggs and the sour cream together. Then, add the beer/butter/cocoa mixture and beat to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. You don't want to over mix. 
6. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely to room temperature.



Bailey's Irish Creme Frosting
2 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
1 cup of Unsalted Butter (8 oz. or 2 sticks)
3 tablespoons of Bailey's


Preparing the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the butter for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar until incorporated. Slowly drizzle in the Irish Cream and beat until combined. 










sorry the pictures are so yellow..... darn artificial lighting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio